The Fortress Heavy Duty Aluminum Swing Gate, manufactured by Tymetal Corp., will close openings of up to 24 feet for a single gate, and up to 48 feet with use of a double gate.
Tymetal’s Fortress Heavy Duty Swing gate is ideal for locations where there is not enough room to roll or slide a gate (like alleys or where the access road is right along the perimeter). They are also ideal for the replacement of old steel gates, as they are much lighter and easier to operate both manually or automatically. They will never rust or “brown out” like the steel gates that they are replacing, so they will always look good at an entrance.
Fortress Heavy Duty Swing Gates are fabricated from 6063-T6 aluminum alloy extrusions. The primary members (top and bottom) are rectangular shaped in cross section with outside vertical members “P” shaped in cross section. Maintenance free, sealed bearing industrial grade gate hinges are through bolted to the gate frame. The gate includes cross bracing of 3/16” minimum diameter stainless steel cable to provide for vertical adjustments.
The Heavy Duty Swing Gate is available in either chain link or ornamental styles to match all popular fencing materials and colors. Tymetal’s custom design shop can help design a swing gate to match any element on your site for beautiful security.
Specification Section 31 32 00
TYM-4000 DOUBLE SWING RISER AUTOMATED SWING GATE SYSTEM
PART 1 – GENERAL:
1.01 SECTION INCLUDES:
A. The work in this section shall include furnishing all labor, materials, equipment and appliances necessary to complete all Heavy Duty Swing Gate Systems required for this project in strict accordance with this specification section and drawings. The gate and operator shall be specifically designed to complement each other as a system and be provided by a single manufacturer. Components (operator from one source and gate panel from another) assembled at the job site to form a system will not be approved.
A. Underwriters Laboratory Gate Operator Requirements (UL 325).
1. Operators shall be built to UL325 standards and be listed by a testing laboratory. Complete all electrical work according to local codes and National Electrical code. All fieldwork shall be performed in a neat and professional manner, completed to journeyman standards.
2. Current safety standards require the use of multiple external sensors to be capable of reversing the gate in either direction upon sensing an obstruction.
3. Vehicle gates should never be used by pedestrians. Separate pedestrian gates must always be provided when foot traffic is present.
4. Current safety standards require gate operators to be designed and labeled for specific usage classes. Operators are compliant with all classes of usage, Class I-IV.
B. ASTM F 2200 – Standard Specification for Automated Vehicular Gate Construction.
C. American Welding Society AWS D1.2 Structural Welding Code.
A. Product Data:
1. Provide manufacturer’s printed specifications and installation instructions.
2. Deliver two (2) copies of operation and maintenance data covering the installed products, including name, address and telephone number of the nearest fully equipped service center.
B. Shop Drawings:
1. Submit drawings showing connections to adjacent construction, range of travel, and all electrical and mechanical connections to the operator. All underground runs of electrical and hydraulic lines shall be indicated on drawings. Drawings shall also show the size and location of the concrete mounting pad.
2. Include complete details of gate construction, gate height, post spacing dimensions and unit weights of structural components.
1. The aluminum welders and welding process must be certified per section 2.04 A.3.
2. Operator Manufacturer: A company specializing in the manufacture of security gate operators of the type specified, with a minimum of seven years experience and minimum of five years experience with gate operators of the type and design.
3. Installer: A minimum of three years experience installing similar equipment.
4. Each operator shall bear a label indication that the operator mechanism has been tested for full power and pressure of all hydraulics, full stress tests of all mechanical components and electrical tests of all overload devices.
A. Gate manufacturer shall provide a three year limited warranty for the gate systems (gate and operator) described within.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS:
2.01 HEAVY DUTY SWING GATE SYSTEM MANUFACTURERS:
A. The heavy duty swing gate system shall be manufactured by Tymetal Corp., 2549 State Route 40, Greenwich, NY 12834 – (800) 328-4283.
B. Approved Substitution: All other systems must be submitted to the design team in accordance with substitution requirements as set forth in the general provisions of the specification manual for approval prior to the bid date. Products submitted after the bid date will not be approved.
C. Gate manufacturer shall provide independent certification as to the use of a documented Welding Procedure Specification and Procedure Qualification Record to insure conformance to the AWS D1.2 welding code. Upon request, Individual Certificates of Welder Qualification documenting successful completion of the requirements of the AWS D1.2 code shall also be provided.
2.02 TYM-4000 SWING GATE OPERATORS:
1. Operation shall be by means of a hydraulic cylinder acting upward in a steel post assembly to cause the post and the gate panel to rotate from zero to 90 degrees (Alt. option for 100 degrees) without the use of articulating arms, screw drives or mechanical devices. The closing action of the gate panel shall cause the free end of the gate to be mechanically locked in place without the use of externally operated electric or mechanical locks. The opening and closing cycle times will vary depending on gate size and weight, from 14 to 30 seconds. The opening action of the gate panel shall allow the gate to rise approximately twelve inches and clear adjacent curbs or obstructions. The post assembly shall be fully enclosed and not offer any openings for foreign material to enter. Actuator assembly shall be supported on non-lubricated synthetic bearing surfaces. Bearings providing rotation and lift to the actuator assembly shall be permanently lubricated cam followers. (Note: degree of swing is built in at the factory and cannot be changed in the field.)
B. Schedule of Capacities:
1. Gates to 9′ wide and weight to 1000 pounds, = 14 seconds to open/close.
C. Standard mechanical components shall include as a minimum:
1. Indexing arm to allow precise closing adjustment.
2. 2-1/4″ industrial quality sealed cam followers.
3. Automated drop bolt locking device.
4. Power package, including 42” x 30” x 12” NEMA 3R galvanized electric enclosure for electric controls, hydraulic pump and valves.
5. Finish: actuator post is metallic flame spray equivalent to hot dip galvanizing.
6. Limit switches to limit travel in each direction.
7. Hydraulic hand pump for emergency operation.
8. Hoses shall be 1/4″, rated to 2750 working p.s.i.
9. Hose fittings at valve block and at actuator post assembly, shall be quick disconnect type.
10. High performance hydraulic fluid with a viscosity index greater than 375.
D. Minimum standard electrical components: Industrial grade.
1. Pump motor: 2 HP, 56C, TEFC, continuous duty with a minimum service factor or 1.15. Standard voltages available in single or three phase.
2. All components shall have overload protection.
3. Controls: Smart Touch Controller Board with 256K memory containing:
a. inherent entrapment sensor;
b. built in “warn before operate” system;
c. built in timer to close;
d. liquid crystal display for reporting of functions;
e. 24 programmable output relay options;
f. anti-tailgate mode;
g. built-in power surge/lightening strike protection;
h. capable, with optional software, of event logging EEPROM for trouble shooting diagnostics;
i. RS232 port for connection to laptop or other computer peripheral and RS485 connection of Master/Slave systems.
4. Transformer: 75 VA, non-jumpered taps, for all common voltages.
5. Control unit: 24VDC.
E. Required external sensors: Photo eyes and safety gate edges to be installed such that the gate is capable of reversing in either direction upon sensing an obstruction.
F. Heater with thermostat control.
1. Operator is available in the following voltages: 208/230 single phase or 208/230/460 three phase. 50 Hz is available-specify voltage.
2.03 FACTORY TESTING:
A. Fully assemble and test, at the factory, each gate operator to assure smooth operation, sequencing and electrical connection integrity. Apply physical loads to the operator to simulate field conditions. Tests shall simulate physical and electrical loads equal to the fully rated capacity of the operator components.
B. Check all mechanical connections for tightness and alignment. Check all welds for completeness and continuity. Check welded corners and edges to assure they are square and straight.
C. Inspect zinc finish for completeness. Touch up any imperfections prior to shipment.
D. Check all hydraulic hoses and electrical wires to assure that chafing cannot occur during shipping or operation.
2.04 HEAVY DUTY SWING GATE:
A. Gate Frame:
1. The gate frame shall be fabricated from 6063-T6 aluminum alloy extrusions. The top member shall be a 3″ x 5″ (76mm x 127mm) aluminum structural channel/tube extrusion weighing not less than [3.0 lb/lf (4.4kg/m) for Chain Link and Internal Picket designs] or [2.6 lb/lf (3.8kg/m) for External Picket designs]. The bottom member shall be a 2” x 5″ (51mm x 127mm) aluminum structural tube weighing not less than 2.0 lb/lf (2.9kg/m).
2. Vertical Members:
a. Chain Link: The vertical members at the post ends of the opening portion of the frame shall be 2” x 5” (51mm x 127mm) aluminum structural tube weighing not less than 2.0 lb/lf (2.9kg/m). The vertical members at the opposite end shall be 2” x 2” (51mm x 51mm) and weighing not less than 1.6 lb/lf (2.3kg/m). The intermediate vertical members shall alternate between 2” x 2” (51mm x 51mm) and 1” x 2” (25mm x 51mm) in cross section weighing not less than 1.1 lb/lf (1.6kg/m) and 0.82 lb/lf (1.2kg/m) respectively.
b. Ornamental Picket (Internal and External): The vertical members at the post ends of the opening portion of the frame shall be 2” x 5” (51mm x 127mm) aluminum structural tube weighing not less than 2.0 lb/lf (2.9kg/m). The vertical members at the opposite end shall be 2” x 2” (51mm x 51mm) and weighing not less than 1.6 lb/lf (2.3kg/m). The intermediate vertical members shall be 1” x 2” (25mm x 51mm) in cross section weighing not less than .82 lb/lf (1.2kg/m). The spacing for the vertical intermediates shall be less than 50% of the gate frame height.
3. All welds on the gate frame shall conform to Welding Procedure Specification and Procedure Qualification Record to insure conformance to the AWS D1.2 Structural Welding Code. All individual welders shall be certified to AWS D1.2 welding code. See 1.03 C.1.
B. Diagonal Bracing:
1. Diagonal “X” bracing of 3/16″ minimum diameter stainless steel aircraft cable shall be installed throughout the gate to provide additional vertical adjustment.
1. Gate hanger posts shall be sized in accordance with gate dimensions as specified by the manufacturer. Height of the post and depth of footing shall be as specified by the engineer.
D. The gate shall be completed by installation of approved filler as specified.
1. Chain Link: 2” x 2” x 9 gauge aluminized steel chain link fabric shall extend the entire length of the gate panel. Fabric shall be attached at each end of the gate frame by standard fence industry tension bars and tied at each 2” x 2” (51mm x 51mm) vertical member with standard fence industry ties.
2. Ornamental Picket: The gate shall be completed by installation of ornamental pickets. Picket sizes shall be 1” (25mm) square. Pickets will extend through entire length of the gate panel as required.
1. Gate to be mill finish aluminum or color coated with polyester powder as specified. If powder coated, the gate and all accessories shall be pretreated chemically by sand blasting or other acceptable method to ensure proper coating adherence. Gate posts (to be supplied by others) shall be galvanized or coated as specified by the design team.
F. Access Controls:
1. Select and specify access control devices for this specification section. Operator compatible with most industry accessories.
PART 3 – EXECUTION:
3.01 SITE INSPECTION:
A. Locate concrete mounting pad in accordance with approved shop drawings.
B. Make sure that supporting posts or pilasters are adequate to support the gate and operator. Do not proceed with installation if supports are inadequate.
A. Excavate, place concrete and install specified sized posts as detailed, and in accordance with approved shop drawings. Install hinges on gate frame and gateposts. Make final adjustments to maintain alignment of gate leaves. Install equipment of this section in strict accordance with the company’s printed instructions unless otherwise shown on the contract drawings.
B. Install gate operator in accordance with the manufacturers printed instructions, current at the time of installation. Coordinate locations of operators with contract drawings; other trades and shop drawings.
C. Installer shall insure that the service to the operator is at least 20 AMPS. Operator wattage is 2500.
D. The gate and installation shall conform to:
1. UL325 Standards.
2. ASTM F 2200 Standard specification for automated vehicular gate construction.
3.03 SYSTEM VALIDATION:
A. Test gate operators through ten full cycles and adjust for operation without binding, scraping or uneven motion.
B. All anchor bolts shall be fully concealed in the finished installation.
C. Preliminary System Test:
1. The complete system shall be adjusted to assure it is performing properly.
2. The system shall be operated for a sufficient period of time to determine that the system is in proper working order.
D. Test and explain safety features:
1. Each system feature and device is a separate component of the gate system.
2. Read and follow all instructions for each component.
3. Ensure that all instructions for mechanical components, safety devices and the gate operator are available for everyone who will be using the gate system.
4. The warning signs shipped with the gate operator must be installed in prominent position on both sides of the gate.
E. Ensure the owner is clear with regard to the safety points concerning the basic operational guidelines of the safety features of the gate operator system. These safety points are listed in the gate operator manual and must be read prior to system use.
F. Notify the Owner’s Representative at least three working days prior to the test so arrangements can be made to have a representative witness the test.
Note: Tymetal Corp. reserves the right to modify and/or make changes as deemed necessary without previous notice.