The Fortress Vertical Lift Gate has been manufactured by Tymetal Corp. for over 25 years and is in constant use throughout North America.
While the Vertical Lift can be used in any setting, it is especially valuable on sites where this is insuf?cient space outside of the gate opening for a swing or slide gate to retract without hitting an obstacle. The Tymetal Vertical Lift Gate system is designed as a complete system to operate flawlessly: the heavy W12x53 superstructure, a solidly engineered #60 chain drive mechanism, complete with counter weights, engineered footings (including rebar cages and anchor bolts) assure a smooth and precise up-and-down movement. To minimize stress, steel counterweights running inside the vertical support columns are fabricated to balance the weight of the gate, reducing the power demand on the motor. The gate panel hangs on four truck assemblies, each with four sealed and permanently lubricated roller bearings, traveling inside smooth aluminum track. A continuous loop drive system, directly connected to the counterweight in each support column, assures precision operation.
The Vertical Lift Gate is available in a wide range of openings, ideal for any setting with space constraints; it is also suited for high-security applications like detention facilities and heavy use sites such as airports, ports, transportation terminals and delivery docks. If you have a space problem, ask about the Fortress Vertical Lift Gate. It’s the perfect solution.
Specification Section 32 31 00
LIFT GATE SYSTEM WITH TYM-VS OPERATOR
PART 1 – GENERAL:
1.01 SECTION INCLUDES:
A. The work in this section shall include furnishing all labor, materials, equipment, and appliances necessary to complete installation of the Fortress Vertical Lift Gate(s) required for this project in strict accordance with this specification section and drawings. The Vertical Lift Gate System, including operator and counterbalance weights, shall be specifically designed to complement each other as a system and be provided by a single manufacturer. Components (operator from one source and gate panel and counterbalance from another) assembled at the job site to form a system will not be approved.
A. Underwriters Laboratory Gate Operator Requirements (UL 325). See 2.01 C.
B. ASTM F 2200 Standard Specification for Automated Vehicular Gate Construction. See 2.01 C.
C. American Welding Society AWS D1.2 Structural Welding Code. See 2.01 D.
D. American Welding Society AWS D1.1/D1.1M Structural Welding Code. See 2.01 D.
E. ASTM A 123 Standard Specification for Zinc (Hot-Dip Galvanized) Coatings on Iron and Steel.
F. Current safety standards require gate operators to be designed and labeled for specific usage classes. Operator Model TYM-VS is compliant in usage Classes III and IV.
A. Product Data:
1. Provide manufacturer’s catalog cuts with printed specifications and installation instructions.
2. Deliver two (2) copies of operation and maintenance data covering the installed products, including name, address and telephone number of the nearest fully equipped service organization.
B. Shop Drawings:
1. Supply Shop Drawings showing the operating system, including details of all major components. Include parts list showing manufacturer’s names and part numbers for the complete installation.
2. Include complete details of gate construction, gate height and post spacing dimensions.
1. The aluminum welders and welding process must be certified per section 2.01 D.
2. The steel welders and welding process must be certified per section 2.01 D.
3. Gates in compliance with ASTM F 2200, Standard Specification for Automated Vehicular Gate Construction and operators are UL 325 listed. See 2.01 C.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS:
2.01 VERTICAL LIFT GATE SYSTEM MANUFACTURERS:
A. The Vertical Lift Gate System shall be manufactured by Tymetal Corp., 2549 State Route 40, Greenwich, NY 12834 – (800) 328-4283.
B. Approved Substitution – All other systems must be submitted to the design team in accordance with substitution requirements as set forth in the general provisions of the specification manual for approval prior to the bid date. Products submitted after the bid date will not be approved.
C. Gate manufacturer shall certify gate is manufactured in compliance with ASTM F 2200, Standard Specification for Automated Vehicular Gate Construction and the operators are UL 325 listed. See 1.02 B and 1.02 A.
D. Gate manufacturer shall provide independent certification as to the use of a documented Welding Procedure Specification and Procedure Qualification Records to insure conformance to the AWS D1.2 (aluminum) and AWS D1.1 / D1.1M (steel) Structural Welding Codes. Upon request, Individual Certificates of Welder Qualification documenting successful completion of the requirements of the AWS D1.2 and AWS D1.1 / D1.1M codes shall also be provided. See 1.02 C and 1.02 D.
2.02 SYSTEM FUNCTION:
1. System shall be designed so that gate movement from the closed position is impossible except by electric or mechanical means.
B. Rate of Travel:
1. The vertical lift gate operator shall be able to achieve a maximum gate speed of 2.2 ft per second, and shall be equipped with soft-start and soft-stop function to prevent shock load to the gate panel and gate operator.
2.03 SYSTEM DIMENSIONS:
A. Clear gate opening HEIGHT shall be: ____ ft-0 in. ( m)
B. Clear gate opening WIDTH shall be: ____ ft-0 in. ( m)
C. Gate Panel HEIGHT shall be: ____ ft-0 in. ( m)
D. Gate Panel shall (or shall not) include one additional foot of barbed wire.
A. Motor Size:
1. The electrical motor shall be 1 HP, [208VAC, Three Phase] or [230 VAC, Three Phase] or [208 VAC, Single Phase] or [230 VAC, Single Phase] or [460 VAC, Three Phase] as produced by a nationally recognized manufacturer.
B. AC Drive:
1. The variable frequency drive unit shall allow for programmable soft-start and soft-stop features.
C. Overload Protection:
1. Motors shall be protected against overload either by a thermal or a current sensing over load device.
D. Gear Box:
1. The self-enclosed gear-head gearbox shall be manufactured as a single unit, and shall consist of a hardened steel machine cut worm and mating bronze gear running in oil bath.
2. Oil shall be #634 specialty oil with a fluid pour point of –44 degrees F.
3. The gearbox shall perform the functions of an adjustable clutching device and a manual disconnect by crank handle.
4. Gear Box Heater shall be provided.
E. Roller Chain:
1. #60 roller chain shall be utilized.
F. Manual Operation:
1. A crank handle, located at ground level in the motor box, shall provide a two-step emergency procedure for manual operation:
a. Unlock and open motor-box door.
b. Fold out handle and crank gate opened and closed.
1. The operator shall be equipped with an integral limit system, providing accurate settings to control the open and close positions of the gate, and shall not be affected by manual operation or motor removal.
H. Control Circuit:
1. 5VDC and operator controller shall be UL listed.
a. Installation of Approved Non-Contact Safety Devices is required for primary entrapment protection for momentary contact applications. Two photo eye sets are provided for use inside and outside the gate opening for momentary contact applications. Constant pressure applications do not require the use of Non-Contact safety devices. Contact manufacturer for listing of other approved devices and various sequences of operation.
b. The electrical contractor shall supply all exterior control wiring.
I. Audio Alarm:
1. This alarm shall have a dual function:
a. The first function shall be as a warning prior to gate movement. When the motor control board recognizes a command, this alarm shall be activated (3) seconds before the motor is energized and the gate begins to move. This shall be continuously activated while the gate is in motion.
b. The second function shall be as an entrapment notification alarm (for class III). This alarm shall sound as a result of a second activation of the external primary entrapment prevention device before an end limit (open or close) is reached. The pulsing rate of the alarm in the entrapment notification mode shall be faster than the pulsing rate when in the warning mode prior to gate movement.
J. Main Power Disconnect Switch and Wiring Compartment:
1. When this switch is in the OFF position, the main power shall be disconnected from the Variable Speed Drive, Motor Control Board and power transformer(s).
1. Operators shall have an isolated low voltage (24V) secondary circuit supplied by a Class II transformer (minimum of 40va) to provide separate power for external control devices.
L. Auto Close Timer:
1. Timer shall be adjustable from 2 to 60 seconds and provide an automatic closure of the gate from the full open position.
2.05 MOTOR HOUSING
A. Water Resistant Motor Box:
1. The motor box shall be constructed of 10-gauge sheet steel (hot-dip galvanized per ASTM 123), gasketed and located at ground level for easy maintenance.
B. Detention Hinges and Tamper Resistant Security Screws:
1. Security hinges and screw shall be furnished to secure operator enclosure components.
C. Motor Box Lock:
1. Motor box shall be locked with a prison dead bolt for which three (3) keys shall be provided.
2.06 SAFETY COVER:
A. A safety cover of 16-gauge steel shall house each of the counterweights.
2.07 SAFETY DEVICE:
A. A “claw” type safety device shall be provided to stop the gate in the down direction in the event of cable malfunction.
B. Traffic Signal Lights (TS-1 Red/Green) shall be installed on the secure and non-secure side of the gate to control through traffic. The installation shall be done so that when the gate is in the closed position or moving, the light will be Red to stop traffic. When the gate is fully open, the light will turn Green to allow through traffic. A separate 115 VAC power supply is required for the Traffic Signal Lights.
2.08 VERTICAL LIFT GATE:
A. SYSTEM DIMENSIONS:
1. Fortress Vertical Lift Gate System dimensions shall be as shown on the detail drawings.
B. Gate Frame:
1. The gate frames shall be fabricated from 6063-T6 aluminum alloy extrusions. The top member shall be a 3” x 5” aluminum structural channel/tube weighing not less than 3.9 lb/lf. The bottom member shall be a 2” x 5” aluminum structural tube weighing not less than 2.0 lb/lf. The outside vertical members shall be “P” shaped in cross section weighing not less than 1.6 lb/lf. Intermediate vertical members shall alternate between 2” x 2” and 1” x 2” in cross section, weighing not less than 1.1 lb/lf and .82 lb/lf respectively. Intermediates shall be spaced at a maximum of 3’ centers.
C. Track and Trucks:
1. The vertical lift gate shall operate between the flanges of the lifting columns to the required vertical clearance, and shall be held plumb between them by means of four self-aligning, 4-wheeled, ball-bearing truck assemblies and anti-racking cables. The truck assemblies shall ride in two vertically mounted tracks, extruded from 6105-T5 aluminum alloy, weighting a minimum of 2.7 lb/lf (4 kg/m).
D. Diagonal Bracing:
1. Diagonal “X” bracing of 3/16” (5 mm) minimum diameter stainless steel aircraft cable shall be installed throughout the gate to provide additional bracing and vertical adjustment.
E. Gate Filler:
1. 2” x 2” x 9 gauge aluminized steel chain link.
2. Optional gate fillers: Ornamental picket, welded wire mesh, or other may be added (weight increase over standard fabric to be authorized by manufacturer).
F. Gate Finish:
1. All exposed steel system parts shall be zinc galvanized.
2. Gate panel shall be mill finish aluminum or color coated with polyester powder as specified. If powder coated, the panel shall be pretreated chemically by sand blasting or other acceptable method to ensure proper coating adherence.
2.09 STRUCTURAL STEEL COLUMNS:
A. Two W12 x 53 structural steel lifting columns of sufficient height for clearance requirements shall be flanged and fastened to concrete footings with anchor bolts.
2.10 ANCHOR BOLTS:
A. Each (2 required per gate) anchor bolt assembly shall consist of four (4) 1 ½” (38 mm) diameter bolts and tie rods for each column, and shall conform to ASTM A-36 grade steel with compatible hexagonal nuts and washers.
2.11 CABLE AND BEARINGS:
A. Two 3/8” (9.525 mm) galvanized steel cables, attached to counterweights, shall pass over a 10” (25 mm) diameter sheave located at the top of each column, and shall be fully supported by two of VF-2S-220 Browning pillow block bearings.
2.12 CONTROLS FOR ELECTRICALLY OPERATED VERTICAL LIFT GATES (UL Class III or IV):
A. Select and specify access control devices for this specification section. Operator compatible with most industry accessories.
A. The vertical lift gate and operator system shall be warranted by the manufacturer against manufacturing defects for a period of (3) three years from date of sale.
PART 3 – EXECUTION:
3.01 SITE INSPECTION:
A. Final upgrades and installation conditions shall be examined. Work shall not begin until all unsatisfactory conditions are corrected.
A. Equipment in this section shall be installed in strict accordance with the company’s printed instructions unless otherwise shown on the contact drawings.
B. The complete system shall be adjusted to ensure that it is performing properly.
C. The gate system is to comply with ASTM F 2200 and UL 325. See 1.02 B and 1.02 A.
D. The installing contractor shall be responsible to ensure that appropriate external primary entrapment safety devices be installed for the specific site conditions to protect against all potential entrapment zones. Proper operation of these safety devices shall be verified and training as to the operation and maintenance of these devices for the users and owners shall be documented.
3.03 SYSTEM VALIDATION:
A. The complete system shall be adjusted to assure it is performing properly.
B. The system shall be operated for a sufficient period of time to determine that the system is in proper working order.
C. System Acceptance Test:
1. The Owner’s Representative shall be notified at least three working days prior to the test so arrangements can be made to have a facility representative witness the test.
2. Test each system function step by step as summarized in controls specification section.
3. Supply all equipment necessary for system adjustment and testing.
D. Test and Explain Safety Features:
1. Each system feature and device is a separate component of the gate system.
2. Read and follow all instructions for each component.
3. Ensure that all instructions for mechanical components, safety devices and the gate operator are available for everyone who will be using the gate system.
4. The warning signs shipped with the gate operator must be installed in prominent position on both sides of the gate.
E. Ensure the owner is clear with regard to the safety points concerning the basic operational guidelines of the safety features of the gate operator system. These safety points are listed in the operator manual and must be read prior to system use.
Note: Tymetal Corp. reserves the right to modify and/or make changes as deemed necessary without previous notice.